FAQ | Affiliation Review (Faculty, Staff & Postdocs)

Affiliation Review

This refers to the end date of your appointment with the university and the amount of time residents are eligible for housing.

Your “affiliation end date” is the date you provided when completing the housing application and it is the end of appointment with the university.


IMPORTANT: The request should match your appointment dates as it will need to be confirmed by your sponsoring/hiring school/department. You may submit a request to have this date updated, via the Housing Portal.

Wondering where to go? Log into the Housing Portal, click on the Tenant Profile, and submit the request in the Affiliation tab by selecting the “reason for the change request” and new anticipated end-date, then click Update Affiliation

Here's what it looks like:

Screenshot of the Housing Portal, on the Tenant Profile tab, and submit a request in the Affiliation tab by selecting the “reason for the change request” and new anticipated end-date, then click Update Affiliation.

Affiliation Review requests can be submitted at any time, and certainly as soon as you know your appointment has been extended. Columbia Residential will also send reminders about your affiliation ahead of your renewal.

Be sure to review the “Affiliation Review” section of the Housing Agreement and Renewal webpage.

Residents may request an affiliation extension by logging into the Housing Portal, going to the “Tenant” tab and “Affiliation” subtab. Update the affiliation end date and select the reason for this change (Extension of Current Program/Appointment).

If your request is denied you will be required to move out by the end of your current agreement. Please review our Moving Out Guidelines for more information about the process.

IMPORTANT: Requests are generally denied if your appointment is not extended, has already ended or if you are transitioning to a position that does not hold housing privileges with Columbia Residential.

If your appointment with the university has ended you must vacate within 30 days from the end of your affiliation or by the end of your current agreement, whichever comes first.

A move-out notice will be submitted on your behalf once your school notifies Residential of your leave.

If your partner has more time in their appointment and they are eligible for your current housing please email this request to [email protected]. Approval is contingent on the following: the eligibility of the partner, the current unit and school allocation approval (Postdocs.) We cannot guarantee this will be accommodated, but we are happy to look into this for you if you contact us.

Have a question you think we missed? 

Email us at [email protected] so we can address your question and possibly add it to this page to help other potential residents!