Cleaning and Maintenance
Residents of Columbia Residential must maintain satisfactory sanitation and safety standards in their unit. Resident rooms, common areas and apartments must be kept clean and clutter-free. Common areas in apartment shares and dorms cannot be used for storage. Trash and recycling must be appropriately discarded on a regular basis.
Violation of this policy may result in fines, cleaning charges (minimum $200), or loss of eligibility for housing.
Columbia Residential Cleaning Guidelines
Living Room/ Hallways Corridors:
- Keep all floors and surfaces clear; avoid clutter, spills and grime
- Sweep and vacuum the floors regularly
- Dust/clean all hard surfaces like furniture, windowsills, and vacuum any soft furniture like couches or chairs.
- Any furniture, bookcases, shoe racks, etc. in the common area are to be shared equally among residents.
- Wipe down cabinets, drawers, countertops, stovetop, and all other kitchen appliances
- Dispose of expired food and leftovers
- Sweep and mop the floors, including in tight spots like under the stove and the space between the refrigerator and counters/walls
- Dispose of trash regularly; all trash should be brought to your building’s trash area at least once per week
- Clear out an even share of the space in the kitchen cabinets and refrigerator, which must be equally shared with roommates
- Scrub and wipe down the sink and around the faucet
- Scrub and disinfect the toilet, both inside and out
- Clean the shower and/or tub thoroughly
- Mop or Swiffer the floors
- All space must be equally shared with roommates