Bar Housing Extensions
Graduating Law students who are in good standing with the University may apply for an extension to their housing agreement to study for the New York Bar Exam.
Bar Housing Extension Move-out Date: July 31
Application Deadline: March 15
- Residents in all Columbia Residential and Law School buildings are eligible to apply.
- Resident must be in good standing with the University.
- Resident must be scheduled to graduate in May.
- Resident must be up-to-date on rental payments.
- Resident must intend to remain for the full Bar Housing period. Those interested in short-term housing (30 days beyond the end of the housing agreement) should submit a Short-Term Housing Request instead.
- Unit must be inspected by building staff and cleared for Bar Housing. Inspections begin the first week of February and may extend through the end of March, and notices will be sent at least 24 hours prior to staff visit to the unit.
- Eligibility does not guarantee approval.
- Approved residents must be registered for the New York State Bar by May 3. Registration will be confirmed with the Law School on that date, and any students not registered for the NYS Bar must move out of housing by May 31.
- Approved residents must sign their housing renewal through DocuSign by May 15.
- Approved residents are subject to the Bar Housing cancellation guidelines indicated below.
- Housing will be billed in accordance with applicable rental rates for the new academic year; these rates may be higher than current rates.
- Residents must acknowledge that construction projects in neighboring apartments may be scheduled during the Bar Housing period, and construction noise should be expected during daytime hours. Summer is the busiest time for construction in University buildings, and projects cannot be placed on hold during Bar Housing.
- Log into the Housing Portal, select Tenant Profile and update your affiliation end date to the last day of the bar housing period.
- Make sure to choose "New York Bar Exam Housing Extension" as the reason for your request.
- Applications must be submitted by the deadline to be considered.
Cancellation requests must be received in writing at [email protected].
- May 1 - 31: resident must move out by May 31 and will be billed until May 31.
- June 1 - 30: resident must move out between June 1-30, and will be charged $1000 cancellation fee. Rent is prorated based on move-out date.
- July 1 - End of Bar Housing: resident will be billed until their move-out date in July; no cancellation fee.
- Overstays: residents who remain in the unit beyond the Bar Housing Move-out Date will be billed for additional days + $1000 penalty fee.