Bar Housing Extensions

Updated April 20, 2020: The deadline to apply for a bar housing extension has been extended until April 30.

Graduating Law students who are in good standing with the University may apply for an extension to their housing agreement to study for the New York Bar Exam.

  • Residents in all Columbia Residential and Law School buildings are eligible to apply.
  • Resident must be in good standing with the University.
  • Resident must be scheduled to graduate in May.
  • Resident must be up-to-date on rental payments.
  • Resident must intend to remain for the full Bar Housing period. Those interested in short-term housing (fewer than 30 days beyond the end of the housing agreement) should submit a Short-Term Housing Request instead.
  • Unit must be inspected by building staff and cleared for Bar Housing. Inspections begin the first week of February and may extend through the end of March, and notices will be sent at least 24 hours prior to staff visit to the unit.
  • Eligibility does not guarantee approval.
  • Approved residents must sign their housing renewal through DocuSign by April 15.
  • Approved residents are subject to the Bar Housing cancellation guidelines indicated below.
  • Housing will be billed in accordance with applicable rental rates for the new academic year; these rates may be higher than current rates.
  • Residents must acknowledge that construction projects in neighboring apartments may be scheduled during the Bar Housing period, and construction noise should be expected during daytime hours. Summer is the busiest time for construction in University buildings, and projects cannot be placed on hold during Bar Housing.
  • Log into the Housing Portal, select Tenant Profile and update your affiliation end date to the last day of the bar housing period.
  • Make sure to choose "New York Bar Exam Housing Extension" as the reason for your request.
  • Applications must be submitted by the deadline to be considered.
  • Sent via email by April 1.
  • APPROVED: resident must sign housing renewal by April 15.
  • DENIED: resident must move out of University housing by May 31.

UPDATED April 17, 2020: Due to COVID-19, the cancellation policy has been updated for all students until August 15, 2020, including those approved for Bar Housing.

  • Cancellation requests must be received in writing at
  • Cancel before August 15: no cancellation fee, and rent is prorated based on the move-out date.